Don’t be alarmed if on May 9th when your out and about if you see bags out by everyones mail boxes. Its donations. The National Association Of Letter Carriers, in conjunction with the United States Postal Service will be collecting non-perishable food items like canned meats, canned soup, juice pasta, vegetables, cereal and rice on May 9 to help families in need in our community. Everyone can help by placing your food donation at your mailbox on May 9th before your letter carrier arrives. It will be taken to the Post Office and then delivered to local food banks or pantries. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ITEMS THAT HAVE EXPIRED OR THOSE IN GLASS CONTAINERS. To find out more information click here!
- 35 Million Americans are at risk of going hungry!
- 13 million children in the U.S. go to bed hungry. (Bread for the World, 2004)
- The U.S. Administration on Aging estimates that 1 out of 4 seniors in the U.S. has an inadequate diet.
- Nationally 29 percent of U.S. children had no health insurance at some point in the last 12 months and many others get neither checkups or vaccinations.
- The U.S. ranks 84th in the world for measles immunizations and 89th for polio.
- The number of people who die from hunger every 3 ½ days is the same number of people who died from the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.
- To see more hunger facts click here!
I would encourage everyone to do it. Even if you just put one or two items. If everyone did so it would help out so much.